Carpinus betulus Fastigiata – Upright Hornbeam tree 10/12cm girth
Carpinus betulus fastigiata is a very tough tree with a compact and upright crown, it is a medium to large size tree which is widely planted throughout this country. Its upright form is often used to create structure and formality in gardens, avenues and urban areas where the tendency to hold the dead leaves long into winter make it a great choice for screening. Hornbeam has bright green ovate leaves, turning orange-yellow in the autumn time. In spring it bears small yellow catkins, followed by clusters of small green nuts/seeds which mature to yellow brown. A very good choice for clay soils and exposed areas. Awarded RHS Award of Garden Merit.
Please select the size and quantity of your Hornbeam tree below.
If the tree size you require is not listed please call for current availability and delivery options as we are always updating the stock we have for sale at our tree nursery in Essex.
- 10/12cm girth
Availability: In Stock
Carpinus betulus Fastigiata – Upright Hornbeam tree
- Size: 10/12cm girth standard.
Girth in CM equates roughly to height in feet. For example: 10/12cm girth = 10/12ft in height.
- Botanical name/s: Carpinus betulus Fastigiata.
- Common name/s: Upright Hornbeam.
- Flower / Foliage: Bright green ovate leaves that turn gold and orange in autumn.
- Plant type: Deciduous
- Flowering period: spring
- Mature height: 10-15metres
- Mature spread: 5-7metres
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Recommended usage: Parks, verges, avenue and gardens.
- Nursery grown: Yes
After Care / Plant Maintenance
- Once planted Upright Hornbeam will need watering throughout the first growing season, but make sure not to over / under water.
- Check tree tie / stake isn't rubbing and / or too tight or too loose on the trunk.
- Check for and remove any dead, decaying, diseased or crossing branch.
- Remove any weeds from around the base of the Hornbeam tree (including grass).
- Position/Aspect: Full sun to partial shade.
- Soil: Grows in moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun or light dappled shade. Thrives in clay soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy in most places throughout the UK. Tolerant of very exposed positions.
- Plant maintenance: Low maintenance
How do I order from King & Co?
Your order may be placed via our Online Shop, which is fast simple and secure.
After your Online Shop order has been placed we will send an order confirmation email to the email address provided. This will provide you with details of your order, including the order number, which you should check and retain for your records. If there is an error in your order requirement, please contact us as soon as possible quoting your order number, so that we can rectify prior to dispatch.
We will take your credit or debit card payment over the phone. Simply call us on 01376 340469 and one of our experienced team are always available to discuss your order 7 days a week.
From our Nursery
Collect your trees or shrubs from our Nursery in Rayne.
We accept all major credit cards including: Maestro, MasterCard, Visa Credit, Visa Electron and Visa Debit.
How can I expect delivery from King & Co?
Overnight to your door
We can delivery to you anywhere in England and Wales via an overnight courier service (two days for Scotland & Ireland).
Via Online Shop
Orders placed via our Online shop if placed by 12 noon Monday –Thursday can be delivered to you the very next day. If placed on a Friday - Sunday delivery would be on Tuesday.
We deliver by national overnight courier service.
Should you require a specific delivery date, let us know in advance and we will arrange for your delivery to arrive on your required date.
Every tree and plant is packed to ensure your order arrives safely.
For large trees or quantities of trees and plants
Please phone us to discuss, we are usually able to deliver to you via a dedicated vehicle.
For local deliveries
We will deliver to you in our local area and we will be pleased to arrange this with you whilst you are visiting our Nursery or via the phone. We also provide a planting service.
We have our own installation teams to carry out planting in Southern & Eastern England. Please call us to discuss, we are always happy to provide you a quotation.