Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa Bare Root Plants 40-60cms
Prunus spinosa is a small tree with a dense rounded crown which is ideal for growing as a formal or informal hedge. Also know nas Blackthorn or Sloe bush, this plant has small white flowers which appear early in spring before the oval shape, green leaves appear. In autumn masses of small, blue/black edible berries or sloes appear at the same time the leaves turn to yellow before falling quite late in the year. The sloe bush lives up to its name with very hard and sharp thorns which when the plant is clipped as a hedge make a great intruder deterrent. A tough plant which will grow in any soil to around 5m tall.
These Prunus spinosa plants are bare root, available to plant when dormant in winter, we supply from November – April.
Please select the size and quantity of your Sloe bush plants below.
If the tree size you require is not listed please call for current availability and delivery options as we are always updating the stock we have for sale at our tree nursery in Essex.
- Available in Packs
Availability: Out Of Stock
|Qty||Bare Root Pack Size||Price|
|40/60cms (25 plants)||£12.00|
|40/60cms (50 plants)||£24.00|
|40/60cms (100 plants)||£42.00|
|40/60cms (250 plants)||£90.00|
|40/60cms (500 plants)||£180.00|
|40/60cms (750 plants)||£345.00|
|40/60cms (1000 plants)||£420.00|
Prunus spinosa – Blackthorn Bare Root plant
- Size: 40/60cms Bare Root
- Botanical name/s: Prunus spinosa
- Common name/s: Blackthorn or Sloe
- Flower / Foliage: Small white flowers in early spring are followed by small blue/black edible fruits in autumn. The oval, green leaves appear after the flowers and turn yellow before falling in late autumn.
- Plant type: Deciduous
- Flowering period: Spring
- Mature height: 5m
- Mature spread: 4m
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Recommended usage: Prunus spinosa is an ideal tree for any size garden as a specimen or grown as a boundary hedge around a field or can be clipped to make a very thick and dense thorny hedge. Great for wildlife and flavouring gin
- Nursery grown: Yes
After Care / Plant Maintenance
- Prunus spinosa bare root plants must be heeled-in firmly around the base when planted. Bare root plants will benefit from watering in the early stages of establishment.
- Check and remove any dead, decaying, diseased or crossing branches.
- Check tree tie / stake isn't rubbing and / or too tight or too loose on the trunk.
- Check for and remove any dead, decaying, diseased or crossing branch.
- Remove any weeds from around the base of the Cherry tree (including grass).
- Position/Aspect: Full sun to partial shade.
- Soil: Moist well drained, it will tolerate most soil types likes full sun to partial shade
- Hardiness: Prunus spinosa is hardy in the UK
- Plant maintenance: Remove any dense shoots from the base of the tree in early spring, tolerates hard pruning to keep shape.
How do I order from King & Co?
Your order may be placed via our Online Shop, which is fast simple and secure.
After your Online Shop order has been placed we will send an order confirmation email to the email address provided. This will provide you with details of your order, including the order number, which you should check and retain for your records. If there is an error in your order requirement, please contact us as soon as possible quoting your order number, so that we can rectify prior to dispatch.
We will take your credit or debit card payment over the phone. Simply call us on 01376 340469 and one of our experienced team are always available to discuss your order 7 days a week.
From our Nursery
Collect your trees or shrubs from our Nursery in Rayne.
We accept all major credit cards including: Maestro, MasterCard, Visa Credit, Visa Electron and Visa Debit.
How can I expect delivery from King & Co?
Overnight to your door
We can delivery to you anywhere in England and Wales via an overnight courier service (two days for Scotland & Ireland).
Via Online Shop
Orders placed via our Online shop if placed by 12 noon Monday –Thursday can be delivered to you the very next day. If placed on a Friday - Sunday delivery would be on Tuesday.
We deliver by national overnight courier service.
Should you require a specific delivery date, let us know in advance and we will arrange for your delivery to arrive on your required date.
Every tree and plant is packed to ensure your order arrives safely.
For large trees or quantities of trees and plants
Please phone us to discuss, we are usually able to deliver to you via a dedicated vehicle.
For local deliveries
We will deliver to you in our local area and we will be pleased to arrange this with you whilst you are visiting our Nursery or via the phone. We also provide a planting service.
We have our own installation teams to carry out planting in Southern & Eastern England. Please call us to discuss, we are always happy to provide you a quotation.