Sophora japonica - Japanese Pagoda tree 16/18cm girth
Sophora japonica has a delicate appearance with compound, Rowan tree like, leaves which are a mid green in colour. It is a medium sized tree with a wide round crown, later becoming fan shaped. The slightly twisting, dark green trunk and older branches are unusual as they have white lenticels (elongated Spots) along their length.
Sophora japonica is a very pretty tree when in bloom, with panicles of creamy white pea like flowers in August although flowering only starts after the tree is 10 years old or more. Long grey seed pods appear in autumn just before leaf fall. The Japanese Pagoda tree needs a sunny, sheltered position to grow best. A highly recommended tree for use in town and city gardens to create, light dappled shade where it could reach 8m or more, commonly 6-8m.
Grows in all well drained, moist soils in full sun, avoid wet or waterlogged areas.
If the tree size you require is not listed please call for current availability and delivery options as we are always updating the stock we have for sale at our tree nursery in Essex.
- 16/18cm girth
Availability: Out Of Stock
Sophora japonica - Japanese Pagoda tree
- Size: 16/18cms girth standard.
Girth in CM equates roughly to height in feet. For example: 10/12cm girth = 10/12ft tall
- Botanical name/s: Sophora japonica
- Common name/s: Japanese Pagoda
- Flower / Foliage: Long panicles (hanging spikes) of creamy-white flowers in late summer on older trees. Compound green leaves similar to a Rowan tree
- Plant type: Deciduous
- Flowering period: N/A
- Mature height: 6-8m
- Mature spread: Up to 5m
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Recommended usage: Ideal in any size garden or large courtyard to create light shade or a feature
- Nursery grown: Yes
After Care / Plant Maintenance
- The Japanese Pagoda will need watering throughout the first growing season, but make sure not to over / under water.
- Check tree tie / stake isn't rubbing and / or too tight or too loose on the trunk.
- Check for and remove any dead, decaying, diseased or crossing branch.
- Remove any weeds from around the base of the Sophora japonica (including grass).
- Position/Aspect: North, south, east or west facing
- Soil: All moist well drained soils
- Hardiness: Sophora japonica is only hardy in the southern warmer UK areas unless planted in a town or city in a sunny sheltered site.
- Plant maintenance: Low maintenance
How do I order from King & Co?
Your order may be placed via our Online Shop, which is fast simple and secure.
After your Online Shop order has been placed we will send an order confirmation email to the email address provided. This will provide you with details of your order, including the order number, which you should check and retain for your records. If there is an error in your order requirement, please contact us as soon as possible quoting your order number, so that we can rectify prior to dispatch.
We will take your credit or debit card payment over the phone. Simply call us on 01376 340469 and one of our experienced team are always available to discuss your order 7 days a week.
From our Nursery
Collect your trees or shrubs from our Nursery in Rayne.
We accept all major credit cards including: Maestro, MasterCard, Visa Credit, Visa Electron and Visa Debit.
How can I expect delivery from King & Co?
Overnight to your door
We can delivery to you anywhere in England and Wales via an overnight courier service (two days for Scotland & Ireland).
Via Online Shop
Orders placed via our Online shop if placed by 12 noon Monday –Thursday can be delivered to you the very next day. If placed on a Friday - Sunday delivery would be on Tuesday.
We deliver by national overnight courier service.
Should you require a specific delivery date, let us know in advance and we will arrange for your delivery to arrive on your required date.
Every tree and plant is packed to ensure your order arrives safely.
For large trees or quantities of trees and plants
Please phone us to discuss, we are usually able to deliver to you via a dedicated vehicle.
For local deliveries
We will deliver to you in our local area and we will be pleased to arrange this with you whilst you are visiting our Nursery or via the phone. We also provide a planting service.
We have our own installation teams to carry out planting in Southern & Eastern England. Please call us to discuss, we are always happy to provide you a quotation.